At Purdy & Figg, our primary goal is to create products that are kind to our health and help to protect our pets and families without the harsh chemicals often found in cleaning products.
It is widely recognised that chemicals released when using traditional cleaning supplies can contribute to respiratory problems, allergic reactions and headaches, but by using simple, natural ingredients you can be sure that the products you are using to clean your home are totally safe yet still effective.
Here, we talk through some of the common health problems that can occur when using traditional cleaning products made using synthetic ingredients and high levels of toxic chemicals.
Protect your lungs
Ask anyone who cleans frequently whether they are concerned about inhaling their cleaning products and the answer will invariably be yes. Who can blame them? Researchers say that the chemicals in household cleaning products can damage your lungs as much as smoking cigarettes when used frequently over time. Whilst this might sound like a terrifying comparison, often these cleaning products contain far too many harsh chemicals that are not necessary for getting the cleaning job done. We believe that using gentle products can be just as effective when used correctly and frequently.
Protect your gut
Microbes in the gut act as the first line of defence against any ingested pathogens or toxins, so it can often spell trouble when there are changes to our gut bacteria. Modern lifestyles can wreak havoc on the healthy gut microbiome, with factors including stress, poor diet and medicines known to alter the balance of ‘good’ to ‘bad’ microbes in the gut. Household cleaners containing triclosan have been found to disrupt our delicate gut bacteria, particularly amongst children, and has been linked in studies with an increased chance of obesity, eczema and diabetes.
Reduce your toxic load
Another common buzzword in 2021 has been around reducing your ‘toxic load’. Put simply, this is the accumulation of toxins you come into contact with (and ingest) from any number of different sources (from beauty products and household cleaners to food and water). On their own, the levels of toxicity are generally harmless, however if your toxic burden becomes too great then symptoms such as headaches, bloating, sugar cravings, irritability and brain fog are not uncommon.
The best way to avoid all of the above is to switch to simple, natural ingredients that get the job done without impacting your health. You wouldn’t clean your skin with harsh, toxic products, so why use them to clean your home? Stick with our philosophy of cleaning little and often with gentle products to help keep your home healthy.